It’s often the case that bass in any given body of water are in transition between calendar periods. Such was the case on this day where some bass were spawning while better quality fish were post-spawn and had pulled off the bank and scattered across grass flats. Wired2Fish’s Mitch Anderson shares some general guidance on how to use weedless ChatterBaits to cover water and trigger hungry post-spawn bass in transition to offshore haunts.
Z-Man ProjectZ Weedless ChatterBait
Daiwa Tatula Elite Casting Rod, 7’4″ Med Hvy Howell
Daiwa Tatula SV TWS Casting Reel, 7.3:1
Seaguar Tatsu Fluorocarbon, 15lb
Mitch provides 4 general points to find and catch post-spawn bass on grass lakes:
1) Have one angler fish shallow and one cast out. There are often still quality fish to be had casting toward the bank so you might as well have one person targeting those fish while the other casts deeper — this helps determine the predominant pattern. Mitch explains how he uses mapping depth highlight to make quality split casts shallow and deeper.
2) Use a weedless ChatterBait on the deeper grass flats. A ChatterBait is an excellent bluegill imitator this time of year. Choose a weedless version to cover water quickly without hanging in the grass.
3) Use a rod with a softer tip and “straight reel” the bait. Mitch stresses the importance of using a purpose-built ChatterBait rod that allows you to simply reel and flush the bait off of grass stems without the angler having to jerk the rod tip. When the ChatterBait hangs on a grass stalk, a softer rod tip loads up and eventually flushes the bait off which often triggers the bite. It’s the same concept as a crankbait deflecting off cover like rock and wood.
4) Use a mid-speed reel. A casting reel in the 7.3:1 range seems to be the optimal blend between winching power and speed. You don’t want to burn the bait too fast, yet you need adequate speed to catch up with bass and get ’em out of cover.
Lund Boats 2075 Pro-V Bass
Mercury 250hp Verado (discontinued)
Humminbird SOLIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G2 Fish Finder
Humminbird HELIX 10 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N Fish Finder
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link Trolling Motor
Humminbird LakeMaster Plus Digital Charts
Wired2fish is one of the most popular recreational fishing brands in the world. We have an extensive library of freshwater fishing tips, fun fishing videos, fishing tackle reviews and a lot more. We post some of the coolest fishing pictures and videos on our social channels. If you love fishing and are wired2fish like we are, we’d love to have you be a part of our community! #bassfishing #wired2fish #fishing
SUBSCRIBE for more awesome fishing tips! ►► https://goo.gl/44UcI6
• Come Fishing with Us! ►► https://goo.gl/ofGwBq
• Our Most Popular Fishing Tips! ►► https://goo.gl/A0MvJb
• Bass Fishing Videos! ►► https://goo.gl/bnPXPv
• Crappie and Panfish Fishing Videos! ►► https://goo.gl/u3KlQ4
• All our Playlists! ►► https://goo.gl/A7HEkY
• Wear Your Love of Fishing with Pride! ►► https://goo.gl/rlglKF
FOLLOW US HERE AS WELL